Most news sources are funded by corporations and investors. Their goal is to drive people to advertisers while pushing the corporate agenda. NationofChange is a 501(c)3 organization funded almost 100% from its readers–you! Our only accountability is to the public. Click here to make a generous donation.
Can We End U.S. Empire?
Stories covered in this episode of the Resistance Report
1. NYPD Sucker Punches Protester Calling For CUNY To Drop Gen. David PetraeusEarlier this week, the NYPD violently cracked down on a group of non-violent protestors who oppose Petraeus teaching at the college, with police shown here punching a protestor as he is cuffed and face down on the ground.
2. Occupy Wall Street Celebrates 2nd Birthday. (8:26)Five years after the Lehman brother's collapse and two years after Occupy Wall Street created a rupture in the pillars holding up the US Empire, the Culture of Resistance is taking hold. Civil Disobedience is becoming more mainstream, the police and surveillance are showing signs that this culture is a real threat. Major change is in the air
3. Two Months To Save the World (14:25)We are rapidly approaching the moment when the unstoppable crisis at the Fukushima will represent a threat to humankind on par with the Cuban missile crisis. This is the assessment of Harvey Wasserman, who has been a strategist and organizer in the anti-nuclear movement in the United States for over 30 years.
4. Can We End The U.S. Empire? (18:58)As Margret Flowers and Kevin Zeese put it in their recent article "Can Peace Movement End US Empire?" "Can this experience be the beginning of a transformation of US foreign policy? Is our nation capable of ceasing the never-ending wars of the post 9/11 world? Can we face up to the history of American Empire and find a way to end it responsibly?"
5. The Class War Escalates (24:39)A Carl Gibson report. A war is being waged against the American people by the super rich. It is escalating. As Bernie Sanders said at the Fighting Bob Conference "How about a war that fulfilled the dreams of the American people in creating an Egalitarian form of society rather than one in which the top 1% holds 38% of the wealth in America, while the bottom 60% owns 2.3% of total wealth? You want a War, lets declare war against Oligarchy!"