Business Insider, using information from the The League of Conservation Voters (LVC), recently released a list of the top Senators that consistently voted for environmental safeguards.
The list is made up entirely of Democrats and no Republicans. Are you surprised?
Notably absent from the list is Senator Bernie Sanders, whose overall score was hurt by his absences from many key votes last year, while he was campaigning for the Democratic presidential nomination.
Note: Each of the following Senators scored a 100% for the year 2016
- Sen. Jeff Merkley, (D-Oregon) Lifetime score: 99%
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren, (D-Massachusett) Lifetime score: 98%
- Sen. Cory Booker, (D-New Jersey) Lifetime score: 98%
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, (D-Rhode Island). Lifetime score: 98%
- Sen. Tammy Baldwin, (D-Wisconsin) Lifetime score: 97%
- Sen. Chris Murphy, (D-Connecticut) Lifetime score: 96%
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal, (D-Connecticut) Lifetime score: 96%
- Sen. Al Franken, (D-Minnesota) Lifetime score: 96%
- Sen. Tom Udall, (D-New Mexico) Lifetime score: 96%
- Sen. Jack Reed, (D-Rhode Island) Lifetime score: 96%
As the LVC stated earlier this year, “The stakes for protecting the environment and public health have never been higher and the threats have never been greater. We must do more than ever to work with our allies in Congress – and mobilize the public – to fight the Trump administration and the extreme Congressional leadership who want to roll back our bedrock environmental laws and President Obama’s incredible progress.”